Broccoli with orange ginger butter starts with all fresh ingredients, so you know just what is going on your plate. If you are having trouble getting the kids to eat their veggies, this neat spin on broccoli just might win them over.
If you find the ginger to be too overpowering, you can use ground ginger instead or just cut back on the ginger a little.
You can steam or boil the broccoli. However, you do want firmer broccoli for this dish.
If you usually cook your broccoli to a very soft consistency, you might not want to do it for this recipe. The butter sauce works much better with broccoli that is at least a little firm.
Broccoli with Orange Ginger Butter
Table of Contents
I’ve only made this with fresh broccoli, not frozen. We hope you enjoy this broccoli with ginger and orange butter recipe. It’s light and delicious.
It takes just 15 minutes to make. You can steam the broccoli at same time you work with the other ingredients. See the steps to make it below.
Ingredients You Need
- Fresh Broccoli
- Real Butter
- Orange Zest
- Juice from Orange
- Sugar – Just a bit
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh Ginger
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Broccoli with Orange Ginger Butter
- Cut the broccoli into spears. (I just break them into small stalks. I also chop up the stem and use it.) Steam until desired texture. You can also simmer for 5 to 10 minutes in a covered pot of water.
As the broccoli is steaming, put the butter in a small saucepan. Set it to melt over low-medium heat.
Grate the ginger, zest the orange, and squeeze the orange to make the juice. Add them to the butter. Mix in the sugar and apple cider vinegar.
Cook until butter begins to brown. The orange and ginger should be aromatic. This should take 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Use caution handling the broccoli. It will be hot. Place broccoli in a serving dish and drizzle the butter mixture over the top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
You can serve it as a side for lunch or dinner. It also pairs nicely with breakfast frittata muffins for an easy brunch meal.
It serves 4 – 6. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to five days in a sealed container. Reheat on stovetop or in microwave.
Ginger and orange elevate broccoli. It’s a great way to incorporate more healthy foods into your meals.
Since learning my son has a palm oil allergy and palm oil intolerance, I’ve learned to cook more at home. Palm oil is common in processed foods but not in real foods. This has made our family eat so much healthier.
Broccoli is something my kids would only eat raw, never cooked. While this isn’t a recipe they’d ever ask me to make, they will eat it without too much complaining. They enjoy it with extra salt and pepper on top.
In addition to our household trying to live palm oil free, I am also gluten free. I like making foods we can all eat safely. Ginger is also an anti-inflammatory.
Love oranges? Check out this orange marmalade recipe.
Thank you for visiting this site and looking through my palm oil free recipes and other information. I’m learning as I go and want to share what I’m making to encourage other people to make homemade foods. Relying less on processed foods is an important way to reduce the demand for palm oil and ultimately, deforestation.
Please leave a Comment below and let me know if you made this recipe. What do you put on broccoli? I’m thinking of adding garlic powder to this next time.
Broccoli with Orange Ginger Butter
- 1 pound fresh broccoli cut into spears
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or all the juice from the orange
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon fresh ginger finely grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut broccoli into spears. (I just break them into small stalks. I also chop up the stem and use it.)
- Steam the broccoli until desired texture or simmer for 5 to 10 minutes in a covered pot of water. Be careful removing. It will be hot.
- As the broccoli is steaming, melt butter over low-medium heat in a small pan.
- Add the orange zest, juice from the orange, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and ginger. Cook until butter begins to brown, and the orange and ginger are aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place broccoli in a serving dish. Add salt and pepper. Drizzle the butter mixture over the top. If you want it to have extra orange flavor, you can squeeze additional orange juice on top. Serve.