This white gravy recipe is so easy to make and delicious. If you are avoiding palm oil, you won’t want to buy powdered gravy mixes or jars of pre-made gravy. Most all country gravy mixes contain loads of chemicals, including mono- & diglycerides. These are typically derived from palm oil. Pre-made gravy in cans will often contain sodium stearoyl lactylate, usually made from palm oil as well.
Homemade white gravy is hard to beat when it comes to comfort food. Spoon some over your biscuits and add lots of black pepper for a traditional southern staple. Pour some over your omelet or give your chicken fried steak a tasty boost.
It is sure to become a family favorite. It’s also versatile. You can add some crumbled chicken sausage or diced fire roasted tomatoes for an interesting twist. Toss in some herbs and spices – the sky’s the limit.
So go bake a batch of grandma’s homemade biscuits and make some white gravy while you wait, then sit down and enjoy this little taste of home.
White Gravy Recipe
The great news is making white gravy from scratch is easier to make than you may think. It takes just a few ingredients, many of which are pantry staples. Make this on the weekend and enjoy it throughout the week to enhance breakfast and brunch foods.
You can make this homemade white gravy recipe using these ingredients and step-by-step directions below. It’s fast to whip up because you put everything in the same pot and cook it together. It makes four servings.
White Gravy Recipe Ingredients
- Whole milk – Choose milk without Vitamin A Palmitate.
- Chicken bouillon – Read labels and be sure it doesn’t contain palm oil. Check the brand called Better Than Bouillon.
- Arrowroot powder or all-purpose flour
- Sea salt
- Roasted garlic powder
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Chicken sausage – Optional
- Red pepper flakes – Optional
How to Make Breakfast Gravy
- In a small saucepan, whisk together all ingredients until well combined and completely smooth.
Set on stovetop. Turn on the heat to medium and slowly heat the mixture until it starts to bubble.
Reduce heat and let simmer for about a minute, whisking constantly.
Remove from heat and cover until ready to use. Gravy will continue to thicken as it cools.
Serve and enjoy.
Palm Oil Free Gravy
When making this white gravy recipe, take extra care to read labels on the bouillon. There are many brands that list out palm oil in the ingredients. We’ve had luck with Better Than Bouillon. Most every other brand we’ve seen on store shelves list palm oil in the ingredients.
We always make our own gravy from scratch. My son gets sick from palm oil. We consider him to have a palm oil allergy and palm oil intolerance. Because of this, I made almost everything from scratch.
See other ways to enjoy a palm oil free breakfast. Some of our other favorites include:
Prior to figuring out my son gets sick from palm oil, I was a novice cook. However, as we eliminated all processed foods from his diet in the beginning, I quickly learned how to recreate many meals. From there, my confidence increased, and I was making entire meals from scratch.
This homemade white gravy is always a hit in my house. I hope you enjoy it as well. Please leave a note in the Comments and let me know any of your tips for using it. We make this homemade gravy for bisquits every few weeks. It’s an easy white gravy recipe you can tailor to your tastes.
- 2 cups whole milk cold
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder or all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp roasted garlic powder
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes optional to taste
- bits of chicken sausage optional
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small saucepan until they are well combined. It should be completely smooth.
- Turn on the heat to medium. Slowly heat the mixture until it starts to bubble. Add in chicken sausage if using.
- Reduce heat. Let simmer for about a minute. Continue to whisk.
- Remove from heat and cover until ready to use. Gravy will become thicker as it cools.
- Serve over biscuits or chicken fried steak or anything!