When you look for sunscreen without palm oil, you typically won’t see ‘palm oil’ in the ingredients. Most are in the form of palm oil derivatives.
Sunscreen lotions, creams, balms and sprays typically contain palm oil in some form.
Here are some common ways palm oil may be hiding in your sunscreen — even in healthy-seeming labels or more expensive brands:
- Calcium Stearate
- Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride
- Capryl Glycol
- Caprylyl Glycol
- Cetearyl Alcohol
- Glyceryl Caprylate
- Isostearic Acid
- Retinyl Palmitate
- Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate
- Stearic Acid
- Vegetable Glycerin
- Vitamin A Palmitate
- Vitamin E and Vitamin E Tocopherol
Get ready for summer!
We’ve confirmed with these companies these sunscreens are palm oil free.
Sunscreen Without Palm Oil
W.S. Badger Co.
They have confirmed these sunscreens are free from palm oil derivatives.
Sunscreen lotions and creams without palm oil:
- Clear Zinc Unscented Sunscreen SPF 30
- Unscented Sunscreen SPF 30
- Tinted Sunscreen Unscented SPF 30
- Unscented Sunscreen SPF 15
- Lavender Sunscreen SPF 30
- Sunscreen Bug Repellent
- Kids Sunscreen SPF 30
- Baby Sunscreen SPF 30
- Clear Zinc Sport Sunscreen SPF 40
- Sport Sunscreen SPF 35
- Clear Zinc Sport Sunscreen Unscented SPF 35
Sunscreen sticks without palm oil:
- Sport Sunscreen Stick SPF 35
- Kids Sport Sunscreen Stick SPF 35
Other palm free sun care products:
- After Sun Balm Organic Skin Moisturizer
- Clear Zinc Sunscreen Lip Balm SPF 15
Read labels and choose one of these palm oil free sunscreens from Badger. (Note, their SPF 25 lotions contain it.)
They have confirmed all of their products, including their sunscreens, are palm oil free.
- Facial Sunscreen
- Organic Sunscreen – available with beeswax or vegan
- Sunscreen with Red Raspberry
These are available in Original or Extra Protection. They contain zinc oxide.
The Vitamin E in these sunscreens are palm oil free and made with non-GMO soy and sunflower oil.
- Sun Set After Sun Spray – contains aloe vera and zero preservatives
Kiss My Face
They have confirmed they make these two sunscreens without palm oil.
- Kiss My Face Organics Kids Defense Mineral SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
- Kiss My Face Organics Mineral Face + Body SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
Palm oil free sunscreen
It’s a good idea to wear sunscreen in the summer, on vacations, and when you will be outside for awhile. More people use sunscreen on sunny days in the spring and fall as well.
It’s really important to read labels for sunscreen. We have searched most every commercial brand, and they all contained some type of palm oil derivative. Oftentimes, they contained more than one.
Watch out for industry buzzwords. Many companies who tout “plant-derived,” “natural”, “vegan”, and “organic” may still be using palm oil derivatives in their sunscreens.
Please support these sunscreens without palm oil.
You may be learning how prevalent palm oil is in self-care products. Check out these posts:
- Palm oil free products
- Toothpaste without palm oil
- Shampoo without palm oil
- Lip Balm without palm oil
Remember to read labels as companies change ingredients. This list is meant to be a starting point as a reference to help find sunscreen without palm oil.
Let us know why you choose sunscreen without palm oil. If you know of palm free sunscreens, please list them in the Comments. Thank you for being an Educated Consumer.