If you seek out palm oil free products, you know how difficult it can be. Palm oil is prevalent in processed foods, cleaning products, and personal care items.
This list of palm oil free products includes categories that typically contain palm oil and derivatives. The list starts with foods, then includes palm free self-care and hygiene products, and then cleaning products.
We update this list regularly. Check back often. The more we support products made without palm oil, the better. We started this website because our son has a palm oil intolerance.
According to Today’s Dietitian, the FDA’s proposal to ban trans fats has created even greater demand for palm oil in foods.
In addition to the environmental concerns, many people avoid palm oil for health concerns.
With 500+ names for palm oil derivatives, it’s a challenge to find products without palm oil. In addition, “Natural Flavors” can contain palm oil.
Choosing real, whole foods is a great start. Cooking healthy meals at home means less chance for palm oil.
Please, do your best to support these brands and products so they will continue making them without palm oil. As always, read labels. Manufacturers continue to change their ingredients to save money.
Please note, this list is not guaranteed. To be confident a product is palm oil free, it will have earned the Palm Oil Free certification trademark.
Palm oil free products
Bread without palm oil
Dave’s Killer Bread doesn’t use palm oil or palm oil derivatives. They use organic canola oil and zero palm oil derivatives.
- Dave’s Killer Bread:
- Boomin’ Berry
- Cinnamon Raisin Remix
- Epic Everything
- Pumpkin Spice Madness (seasonal)
- Rolls: Organic Sweet Potato Rock ‘N’ Rolls
- 21 Whole Grains
- Good Seed
- Power Seed
- White Bread
- Blues Bread (blue cornmeal crust)
- Honey Oats & Flax
- 100% Organic Whole Wheat
- English Muffins: Killer Classic and Rockin’ Grains
You absolutely must read labels before you buy any bread, buns and rolls. In the United States, palm oil derivatives are common.
Some of them include: Mono- and diglycerides; DATEM; Sodium Stearyl Lactylate; and Sorbitan Monostearate
See our post Breakfast without palm oil.
- Pillsbury Brownie Mix: Chocolate Fudge; Milk Chocolate (mix)
- Miyoko’s European Style Cultured Vegan Butter – Organic
Note, margarine, spreads, and most other butter substitutes contain palm oil. Choose real butter to avoid palm oil.
Candy and chocolate
- Nelly’s Organics
Note, conversation hearts for Valentine’s Day typically contain palm oil ingredients.
Candy canes are not always palm oil free. Look for ones without Glycerin and Glycerol, palm oil derivatives.
Also, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups have different recipes. Choose their regular version. Read labels and choose the ones without palm oil.
- Nuubia Chocolate: Sea Salt Caramel Spread
- Kashi: 7 Whole Grain Flakes Cereal; Whole Wheat Biscuits, Autumn Wheat; Whole Wheat Biscuits, Island Vanilla; 7 Whole Grain Honey Puffs Cereal; 7 Whole Grain Puffs Cereal; GOLEAN Peanut Butter Crunch Cereal; Kashi Organic Strawberry Fields Cereal
- Post Shredded Wheat: Original Spoon Size, Wheat Big Biscuit, Wheat ‘N Bran
- Life Cereal: Original, Cinnamon, Vanilla, Pumpkin Spice
- Puffed Rice; Puffed Wheat; Quisp; Corn Crunch
- Old-Fashioned Oats, Gluten Free Oats, etc. — Eat as oatmeal & use in desserts, etc.
- Red Ape Cinnamon: Cinnamon Oatmeal Cup
Choose the ones with the least amount of ingredients. Most are fortified with Vitamin A Palmitate, a palm oil ingredient. Watch for Tocopherols (not labeled with a source) as well.
See a detailed list of cereals without palm oil. See below for Granola.
Chicken strips without palm oil
- Foster Farms
- Crispy Chicken Strips
- Gluten-Free Breast Strips
- Popcorn Chicken
Please note, their Gluten-Free Breast Nuggets contain palm oil and is clearly labeled.
A representative from Foster Farms also added: Because our formulations are subject to change, please be sure to check the ingredient statement prior to each purchase.
However, this is true all the time when you are looking for palm oil free products.
Also, many companies who make breaded products often only list “vegetable oil,” without the source. In order to support palm oil free products, you will need to know the source before buying it.
Coffee without palm oil
- Red Ape Cinnamon: Cinnamon Coffee; Ginger Coffee
These coffees are free from palm oil and obtained Palm Oil Free certification by the International Palm Oil Free Certification Programme.
Palm oil is most likely not common in regular ground coffee.
However, it can be used to create flavors in coffee. When you buy a bag or canister of ground flavored coffee — as in Creme Brulee, Vanilla, Caramel, etc. — it may contain palm oil in the “natural flavors” that won’t be spelled out.
Think about how the coffee company is making the buttery caramel flavor, etc.
Creamers without palm oil
In addition, watch for palm oil derivatives in CREAMERS. One major brand lists “palm oil” in the ingredients. Other palm oil derivatives in creamers to avoid are:
- Mono- and Diglycerides
- Sodium Stearyl Lactylate
Half & Half is often a palm oil free option.
- Pepperidge Farms
- Thin & Crispy: Milk Chocolate Chip, Toffee Milk Chocolate, Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies, Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chessmen Butter Cookies
- Erin Baker’s: All of their products: Double Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Raisin, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Caramel Apple, Banana Walnut, Carrot Cake, Fruit & Nut
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip
- Simply MI-Delicious: Ginger Snaps, Chocolate Snaps, Lemon Snaps, Vanilla Snaps
- Walker’s Pure Butter Shortbread
- Butter Cookies
Note about Pepperidge Farms: They wrote back to say that different suppliers may use palm oil so they can’t confirm these cookies are always 100% palm oil free.
We included them on this list because we have purchased them for years, and in our area they have remained palm oil free. We appreciate their transparency and for using real ingredients in their products.
Update: We are happy to see they have kept their Holiday Chessmen Butter Cookies the same recipe as last year — no palm oil! (Many manufacturers quietly change ingredients which is why it’s important to read labels every time.)
As with everything, be sure to read all labels. Learn more, and see our list of cookies without palm oil.
Dried fruit without palm oil
- Bare Snacks offers apple, banana, and coconut chips with many organic offerings.
Fruit snacks without palm oil
- KIND Fruit Bites: Cherry Apple, Mango Pineapple Apple, Strawberry Cherry Apple
Many fruit snacks contain Glycerin, Glycerine, and/or Vitamin A Palmitate, which are palm oil derivatives.
Sometimes Citric Acid can be sourced from palm oil. Therefore, if you are avoiding palm for health reasons, you need to check with the manufacturer to find out if the Citric Acid is derived from palm oil.
Graham crackers without palm oil
- Honey Maid Graham Crackers: Original, Cinnamon, Chocolate, Vanilla
More than ever, and especially in “generic,” store brands, graham crackers contain palm oil. READ LABELS!
Nabisco’s Honey Maid line was the only one we found in our grocery store without it.
However, note the Honey Maid Low Fat version contains a palm oil derivative called DATEM. The boxes look similar. (DATEM is a now-common palm oil derivative companies are using in bread.)
- Erin’s Baker: All of their granola products
- Homestyle Granola
- Ultra Protein Granola
- Sprouted Snacks Nut Mix
- Purely Elizabeth:
- Ancient Grain in four flavors
- Nut Butter Granola in two flavors
- Grain-Free Granola in two flavors
- Ancient Grain Minis (single serving sizes in four flavors)
- Open Nature Honey Nut Granola
- Simply Balanced Organic Blueberry Granola with Flax
Most granola brands contain Tocopherols, Vitamin E, and/or Glycerin, palm oil derivatives. See below for granola bars.
Gum without palm oil
- Glee Gum: Peppermint, Cinnamon, Bubblegum, Spearmint, Mixed (Triple) Berry, Sugar-Free Bubblegum, Sugar-Free Wintergreeen
Glee Gum is also free from artificial chemicals, flavors, and dyes.
In gum, there are often palm oil derivatives such as palm-oil based Glycerol or Glycerin.
Remember, even “healthy packaging” — across all product lines, not just for gum — does not mean the product is palm oil free. If you see Organic Vegetable Glycerin or Vegetable Glycerin, chances are, it’s made with palm oil.
- Nocciolata Organic Hazelnut Spread with Cocoa and Milk
- Nocciolata Dairy Free Organic Hazelnut & Cocoa Spread
- Nuubia Chocolate: Caramelized Hazelnut Spread
- Wild Friends Foods: Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- Ben & Jerry’s: Worldwide, they make all of their flavors and products without palm oil!
- Breyers: Chocolate; Mint Chocolate Chip; Natural Vanilla; Strawberry; Vanilla Chocolate; Vanilla Chocolate Strawberry
We are grateful to Ben & Jerry’s for making all of their ice cream without palm oil.
Please note, when looking at the vanilla Breyers flavors, only the Natural Vanilla is a palm oil free product. Their Extra Creamy Vanilla, French Vanilla, and Homemade Vanilla contain Mono- and Diglycerides.
Choose ice cream with as few ingredients as possible unless you are choosing Ben & Jerry’s.
See our post: Ice Cream Without Palm Oil. We researched 18 ice cream brands and 250+ cartons of ice cream. We found 20 different palm oil derivatives and ingredients in them.
Palm oil derivatives to watch for in ice cream include: Mono & Diglycerides, Propylene Glycol Monoesters, Polysorbate 80, and Vitamin A Palmitate.
Marshmallows without palm oil
- Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows: regular size and miniature
For palm oil free s’mores, we use:
- Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate bar: any size
- Honey Maid Grahams (Many other brands contain palm oil and palm oil derivatives such as DATEM.)
Meat strips, jerky
- Epic Bar: all of these products are made without palm oil
- Pork Skins
- Hunt & Harvest Mix
- Snack Strips
Nut butters and peanut butter
- Spread the Love Foods: They make all of their products without palm oil and label their nut butters ‘Palm Oil Free’ which demonstrates how important it is to them. Naked Organic Peanut Butter, Naked Crunch Organic Peanut Butter, Unsalted Almond Butter, Unsalted Crunch Almond Butter
- Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter Co: They have all palm oil free products. Creamy Peanut Butter, Crunchy Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Cashew ButterWild Friends: All of their products are made without palm oil. Classic Creamy Peanut Butter, Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter, Peanut Cashew Super Butter, Cinnamon Raisin Peanut Butter. They also made palm free Sunflower, Almond and Super Butters. (They are certified as Palm Oil Free products.)
- Teddie All Natural: All of theirs are palm oil free: Creamy, Crunchy, Organic, and with Flaxseed
- Wild Friends Foods: all
- RX Nut Butter: Honey Cinnamon Nut Butter, Peanut Butter, Vanilla Almond Butter
- Trader Joe’s: Organic Peanut Butter Creamy (Salted or Unsalted) Valencia, Organic Peanut Butter Crunchy (Salted or Unsalted) Valencia
- Whole Foods 365 Everyday Value: Creamy Peanut Butter, Crunchy Peanut Butter
- O Organics: Chunky Peanut Butter
- Skippy: Creamy Peanut Butter, Crunchy Peanut Butter, Honey Roasted Nut Creamy, Singles Creamy
See our list of peanut butter without palm oil.
Watch marketing buzzwords. “No Stir” and “No Need to Stir Labels” means they contain palm oil.
Also, don’t buy products labeled Peanut Butter Spread which also contains palm oil (plus many more ingredients).
Nutrition bars, including snack, granola bars and fruit bars
- Enjoy Life Foods
- Crispy Grain & Seed: Banana Caramel, Chocolate Marshmallow, Cranberry Orange, Maple Sweet Potato
- Protein Bites: Sunseed Butter, Dark Raspberry, Cinnamon Spice, Dipped Banana
- Honey Bunchies Peanut Pecan Honey Bar
- Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Sea Salt, Coconut Chocolate, Coffee Chocolate, Maple Sea Salt, Mint Chocolate, Mixed Berry, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Chocolate
- RXBAR Kids: Apple Cinnamon Raisin, Berry Blast, PB&J, Chocolate Chip, Double Chocolate, Peanut Butter Chocolate
- Van’s Foods Gluten Free Cranberry Almond snack bars
- Pressed by KIND Fruit Bars: Cherry Apple Chia, Mango Apple Chia, Pineapple Banana Kale Spinach, Strawberry Apple Cherry Chia
- KIND Sweet & Spicy Bars: Roasted Jalapeno, Korean Chili, Chipotle Honey Mustard
- KIND Bars: Almond & Coconut, Almond Coconut Cashew Chai, Maple Glazed Pecan & Sea Salt, Honey Roasted Nuts & Sea Salt, Madagascar Vanilla Almond, Raspberry Cashew & Chia, Almond & Apricot, Apple Cinnamon & Pecan, Fruit & Nut; Peanut Butter & Strawberry
- Clif Kid Organic Z Bar: Caramel Chocolate, Chocolate Brownie, Chocolate Chip, Iced Oatmeal Cookie, Iced Lemon Cookie, S’mores
- Purely Elizabeth: Grain-Free SuperFood in Banana Nut Butter, Peanut Butter, Coconut Cashew, Chocolate Sea Salt
- Simply Balanced Chewy Granola Bars Apple Berry Flavored Organic
- Nature Valley Crunchy Granola Bars: Maple Brown Sugar, Oats & Honey, Peanut Butter
Enjoy Life also earned the Palm Oil Free certification for four flavors of their Protein Bites.
Honey Bunchies confirmed their bar is palm oil free.
RXBAR confirmed they only make palm oil free products.
Avoid chewy, coated, and “filled” bars. Also, watch for Glycerin, Glycerine, and Tocopherols, typically made from palm oil.
Don’t be persuaded by “healthy-looking” packaging. To learn more, see our list of granola bars without palm oil.
- Angie’s A Boom Chicka Pop: Sea Salt, Sweet & Salty Kettle Corn, Light Kettle Corn, Salted Caramel, Buttery Caramel
- Lesser Evil Organic Popcorn: Avocado-licious; Classic Cheddar; Himalayan Pink; Himalayan Gold; Oh My Ghee!; Jalapeno ‘n Honey; Himalayan Sweetness
- Popcornopolis: Nearly Naked Gourmet
- Quinn Snacks: Their microwavable popcorn seems to be the only product of it’s kind without palm oil. They make seven flavors palm oil free. Some flavors include Parmesan & Rosemary and White Cheddar.
Watch out for seasonal flavors which may contain palm oil.
For more information, see our list of popcorn without palm oil.
- Cape Cod Kettle Cooked Potato Chips: Original; Waffle Cut Sea Salt; Waves Sea Salt; Waves 40% Reduced Fat Sea Salt
- Lay’s Potato Chips: Classic; Kettle Cooked Original; Lightly Salted Classic; Lightly Salted Wavy Original
- Lesser Evil: Perfectly Salted; Salt & Apple Cider Vinegar; Jalapeno ‘n Honey
Avoid potato crisps and chips in cans. Canned potato snacks typically contain Mono- and Diglycerides sourced from palm oil.
Also avoid shoestring potatoes and potato sticks which typically contain palm oil ingredients.
Read labels before buying organic potato chips as they often contain organic palm oil.
- Rold Gold
- Braided Honey Wheat, Rods Original, Sticks Original
- Thin Crisps: Buffalo Wing, Garlic Parmesan, Honey Dijon
- Tiny Twists: Original, Cheddar, Honey Mustard
- Snack Factory
- Everything, Garlic Parmesan, Honey Mustard & Onion, Sesame, Original, Original Minis, Organic Original
- Snyder’s of Hanover
- Mini Pretzels, Sticks Pretzels, Snaps Pretzels, Butter Snaps, Rods Pretzels, Thins Pretzels, Olde Tyme, Homestyle, Dipping Sticks, Sourdough Hard Pretzels
- Braided Twists: Honey Wheat, Ancient Grain, Blueberry
- SUPERPRETZEL Soft Pretzel
- Original, Pretzel Bites, Multigrain
Especially read labels when you are looking for gluten-free varieties. Manufacturers often use DATEM or palm oil as a replacement.
Also, some single serving bags and often holiday varieties contain palm oil.
There is more information in our pretzels without palm oil post.
- Lesser Evil Grain Free: “No Cheese” Cheesiness; Apple Cider Vinegar; Himalayan Pink Salt
We have a post dedicated to snacks without palm oil.
- Sensible Portions Garden Veggie: Chips; Straws (Note: We are not sure if the Organic ones are palm oil free.)
Spices without palm oil
- Red Ape Cinnamon
- Ground Cinnamon; Cinnamon Sticks, Cassia Cinnamon Chips
- Ginger Tea Bag Cut; Ground Ginger
- Turmeric Pieces; Ground Turmeric
All of Red Ape Cinnamon’s products listed in this post have been certified Palm Oil Free by the International Palm Oil Free Certification Programme.
Even if spices don’t list palm oil in the ingredients, you won’t know if they are derived from palm oil sources unless you verify with the company.
Note, “Natural Flavors” in spices (and all products) can include palm oil.
Taco shells without palm oil
- Ortega Taco Shells: (Be sure to read all ingredients, especially for their whole wheat and flour tortillas. Their other taco shell products contain Mono- and Diglycerides as well as Glycerin which are palm oil derivatives.)
- Yellow Corn Shells
- Good Grains line:
- Yellow Corn & Spinach; Blue Corn Taco Shells; Whole Grain Corn and Lentil Taco Shells; Yellow Corn & Ancient Grains; and Yellow Corn & Red Bell Pepper
- Whole Grain Corn
- Tostada Shells
- Trader Joe’s Trader Jose’s Taco Shells
Read labels and choose palm oil free taco shells. You should be able to find them.
Watch for the brand that advertises their taco shells are “Made With 3 Ingredients.” Usually, that is a good thing as the less ingredients usually means less palm oil. However, in this case, the taco shells include palm oil.
- Red Star Active Dry All Natural Yeast: 3 pack
All other yeasts we found — in jars and in packets — contains Sorbitan Monostearate. This can be a palm oil derivative.
You have to check with the companies to find out if it contains or was treated with palm oil.
Red Star’s Active Dry Yeast in the packets contains just Yeast.
Yogurt without palm oil
- Activa: Black Cherry, Blueberry, Strawberry, Mixed Berry (big pack at Costco)
- Chobani Greek Yogurt: (20 pack from Costco)
- Peach on the Bottom
- Blueberry on the Bottom
- Strawberry on the Bottom
- Black Cherry on the Bottom
These are the yogurts we buy; we believe them to be palm oil free.
Watch for Vitamin A Palmitate on yogurt labels. Oftentimes, “light yogurt” contains Vitamin A Palmitate.
In addition, yogurt with add-ins — candy, cookies, sugary ingredients– all contain palm oil. Buy yogurts without mix-ins.
Palm oil free personal care products
Conditioner without palm oil
- The Guardian (for frizzy, dry or damaged hair)
- Wonderbar (oily or normal hair)
- Viva La Body: (in Australia) all nine conditioners
At long last we were able to find cosmetics and makeup without palm oil.
- Lipstick: They offer 30 palm oil free lipsticks in neutrals, pinks, oranges, reds, purples, and more.
- Crayons: They have six colorful shades.
They clearly list all of their ingredients on their website. They use organic coconut oil, organic avocado oil, and organic castor oil instead of palm oil.
- Fat and the Moon:
- Highlighter, tint:
- Lip color:
- Clay Idol Lip Paint
- Dusk Lip Paint
- Hecate Lip Paint
- Lip & Cheek Stain
- Mortar & Pestle
- Wood Nymph
- Zlata Baba
- Cheek color:
- Lip & Cheek Stain
- Highlighter, tint:
- Bronze Aura Balm
- Copper Aura Balm
- Pearl Aura Balm
- Silver Aura Balm
- Gold Aura Balm
They make their products with vegan, organic and raw ingredients.
Their Aura Balms are coconut-based. You can use them on brow ridges, cheeks, collarbones — on skin where you want some color.
See our post, Palm Oil Free Makeup, for more products and info.
Cosmetics without palm oil in Australia
- Sugar Venom (all of their products)
- Lips & Cheeks
- Eye pencil
- Eye shadow
All of Sugar Venom’s products earned Palm Oil Free certification from the International Palm Oil Free Certification Trademark Programme.
- Booda Organics Booda Butter Cream Deodorant (cream)
- Lavender & Vanilla (bar)
- Spearmint & Lime (bar)
- Fat and the Moon:
- Deodorant Cream
- Sensitive Pit Cream
- Schmidt’s: (solid stick)
- Schmidt’s Fragrance Free Natural Deodorant
- Bergamot + Lime
- Lavender + Sage
- Ylang-Ylang Calendula
- Charcoal + Magnesium
See our list of deodorant without palm oil and learn to watch out for these ingredients:
Propylene Glycol; Tocopherols without the source; Triglycerides without the source; Vitamin E without the source; Steareth – 100; Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride; Sodium Stearate; Stearyl Alcohol
- Badger Balm: All of them are palm free
- Booda Butter Naked Lip Balm
- Dunnock and Hinny: Rose Mint and Lavender
- Fat and the Moon:
- Lip Salve
- Ruby Red Tinted Balm
- Freedom Soap Co.
- Orange + Rosemary
- Tea Tree
- Sweet Orange
- Moon Lip Balm: Blue Chamomile Vanilla
- Sun Lip Balm: SPF 15 Tangerine Chamomile
- Baobab Banana
- Echium Raspberry Tinted Lip Balm
- Papaya Pineapple Lip Balm
- Simply Eden
- Peppermint with Zinc
- Sweet Orange Chili Pepper
- Sinus Eze
- Cucumber Melon
- Coffee Bean
- Unearth Malee
Watch for Tocopherols. Unless they include the source, they are often made with palm oil. The Tocopherols in Hurraw! are sourced from sunflower.
Learn more by checking out lip balm without palm oil.
Lipstick without palm oil
See the Cosmetics without palm oil section above. Axiology advertises they are palm oil free.
See our post for medicine without palm oil. We were able to acquire it by going to a compounding pharmacy.
Look at the OTC tablets, capsules and liquids in your home. They likely contain palm oil derivatives which are listed in the above-mentioned post.
Two common ingredients to watch for and avoid include Magnesium Stearate and Propylene Glycol.
Moisturizer and Lotion
- Booda Organics:
- Booda Butter Pure Daily Moisturizer
- Tub of Love
- Coconut + Lime Butter Block
- Jasmine & Ylang Ylang Butter Block
- Peppermint & Tea Tree (foot balm without palm oil)
- Love Baby Bar
- Fat and the Moon:
- All Cream
- Aloe Lotion
- Face Oil
- Love Thyself Bod Oil
- Moon Fat Bod Oil
- Freedom Soap Co.:
- Whipped Shea Butter
- Kilted Suds
- Citrus with Hemp Seed Oil
- French Vanilla
- Lilac & Lily
- and many more!
- Unearth Malee Organic Lotion Bar:
- Jasmine Mint
- Lavender Chai
- Ginger Lemongrass
- Prickly Pear
- Patchouli Orange
- Honestly: Baby Lotion Bar
- Body Creme
- Cleansing Balm
All of Amaranthine’s products have earned Palm Oil Free certification from the International Palm Oil Free Certification Trademark Programme.
- Kilted Suds: all shampoo bars
- Fat and the Moon Lavender and Cocoa Dry Shampoo
- Unearth Malee: shampoo bars
- Viva La Body: (in Australia) all 18 bars
- Frizz Wrangler
- Heali Kiwi
- Oaty Delicious (for kids)
- Pinkalicious (for Normal hair)
- Saint Clements (for Oily Hair)
On a personal note, I couldn’t decide which Ethique shampoo and conditioner to choose. I was happy to see they offer a sample set.
Each box comes with three of Ethique’s palm oil free shampoos and two of their palm oil free conditioners. It’s been a great way to try some of Ethique’s palm oil free products. They are all high quality, easy to use, and work really well.
See Shampoo without palm oil for more information about what palm oil ingredients to watch for.
- Ethique Tip to Toe Shampoo and Shaving Bar
- PreShave Oil
- MacSplash Aftershave Oil
- Beard Oil Healing Blend
- Fat and the Moon Olive and Clay Shave Cream
- Freedom Soap
- Beard Balm
- Beard Oil
- Shave Soap
- Viva la Body Solid Shave Bar
You will have a better chance finding a shaving bars / soap and oil instead of a shaving cream. We have more palm oil free options and information in Palm Oil Free Shaving.
- Booda Organics: Booda Butter All-In-One-Soap
- Freedom Soap Co: all bars
- Kilted Suds: all bars
- Kiss My Face:
- Pure Olive Oil Soap
- Olive Oil & Aloe Soap
- Olive Oil & Lavender Soap
- Milk Relief Soap
- Remwood Products Co: Grandma’s Baking Soda Soap
- Ethique: all of their bar soaps
- Unearth Malee: all bars
- Viva La Body: (Australian) all bars
Read soap without palm oil for more information. Glycerin in soap is usually from palm oil. You will have a difficult time finding liquid soap without palm oil.
- EmpireSquid LifeGuard Sunscreen:
- Red Raspberry
- Kiss My Face:
- Organics Mineral Face + Body SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
- Organics Kids Defense Mineral SPF 30 Sunscreen Lotion
- W.S. Badger:
- Sport Sunscreen Stick
- Kids Sport Sunscreen Stick
There are typically palm oil derivatives in sprays, lotions, creams and sticks. Even organic and healthy-seeming brands contain palm oil derivatives.
Some ingredients to watch out for in sunscreen include: Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Glycerin, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Stearic Acid, Tocopherol (Vitamin E)
See sunscreen without palm oil for more palm oil free options.
- Davids Premium Natural Toothpaste
- Bite Toothpaste Bits: Fresh Mint, Mint with Activated Charcoal, Berry Twist
- Fat and the Moon: Tooth Cleanse, Tooth Polish
- Redmond Earthpaste: Peppermint with Charcoal, Spearmint, Cinnamon, Lemon Twist, Peppermint, Wintergreen
Ingredients to watch out for include Glycerin, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium Laurel Sulfate, and Propylene Glycol, all palm oil derivatives.
Learn more at toothpaste without palm oil.
Cleaning products without palm oil
Laundry detergent without palm oil
- Booda Organics Suds of Love Laundry Soap (powder)
- Ethique: Flash Laundry Bar (to clean by hand); can also use on dishes
- Unearth Malee: (32 – 64 loads; powder)
- Lavender Lemongrass Detergent
- Thai Lime Eucalyptus
- Unearth Malee Organic Laundry Stain Stick
Cleaning without chemicals
- Polishing Cloth
- Dusting Mitt
- Many more
Norwex uses anti-bacterial silver in their cloths. You use them for counters, floors, sinks, appliances, and more. They are great for the kitchen and the bathroom. They also have one for windows and floors.
When you use them, you don’t need to use chemical-laden and palm oil-laden sprays. Norwex cloths are among our favorite items to use.
In the United States, we have yet to find spray cleaners, dishwasher detergent, and non-specialty laundry soap without palm oil. Even healthy-seeming brands contain them.
Spray cleaners often contain “plant-derived cleaning agents” which are typically made with palm oil derivatives.
To clean without palm oil use:
- Spray bottle with vinegar and water: Clean kitchen, bathrooms, windows, floors
- Baking soda: Clean sinks
- Lemon: Look online for ways to use lemon for cleaning
Use a Swiffer Sweeper stick with reusable microfiber cloth instead. Use it to mop your floors without chemicals.
Palm oil free cleaning products in the United Kingdom
HumbleStuff: This is a company in Scotland. They ship throughout the UK. Their products have been certified palm oil free by the Orangutan Alliance.
- Soft Cleaning Paste
- Lemon Myrtle Multi-Purpose Spray
- Refill for Multi-Purpose Spray
Candles without palm oil
In the United States:
- The Fanciful Fox:
- Gingerbread Candle
- Eucalyptus Lemongrass
- Lemon Parsley
- Lemon Sage Ginger
Their palm oil free candles are made with 100% soy wax. They offer 20+ palm oil free candle varieties on their website. We listed a few above.
You must look for candles with 100% ______ labeling, as in 100% Soy. Don’t be swayed by seeing “Made with Soy” or “Made with Coconut” in the labeling. They usually also contain palm oil.
- Cocolux Australia: Pure Copper, Coconut Oil Candle
They use sustainable, organic coconut instead of palm oil. Based in Australia, they offer free international shipping.
Most candles use palm oil. Read labels. Reach out to companies to ask the source of their ingredients.
Infant formula without palm oil
LittleOak Infant Formula is the first infant formula in the world to be certified palm oil free. It is available in New Zealand.
Palm oil free products
It is increasingly difficult to find palm oil free products. In the US, the FDA has required manufacturers to eliminate trans fats from processed foods. Companies have turned to palm oil as the replacement.
Demand for palm oil continues to rise.
In addition to foods, manufacturers rely on palm oil ingredients in cleaning products. It is a challenge to find laundry detergents, spray cleaners, dish soap, and dish wash detergent without palm oil.
It’s also difficult to find palm oil free self-care and personal care items.
Palm oil is prevalent in soap, shampoo, shaving cream, lotion, deodorant, sunscreen, toothpaste, and cosmetics.
Even if you don’t give it up completely, there are ways to use less palm oil each week.
Companies who don’t use palm oil
These companies make all of their products palm oil free:
- Axiology Beauty
- Ben & Jerry’s
- Booda Organics
- Divine Chocolate
- EmpireSquid Organics
- Erin Baker’s
- Fat and the Moon
- Freedom Soap Co.
- HumbleStuff (UK)
- Kilted Suds
- Lesser Evil
- Nelly’s Organics
- Nocciolata USA
- Spread the Love Foods
- Sugar Venon (Australia)
- The Fanciful Fox
- Unearth Malee
- Viva La Body (Australia)
Why choose palm oil free products
There are many reasons consumers look for palm oil free options.
Many people choose to avoid palm oil for the environmental concerns and due to the concerns about sustainable palm oil.
Others avoid it for health concerns. According to EatingWell, palm oil and palm kernel oil are high in saturated fat.
Other consumers choose palm oil free products because they experience allergic reactions or get sick from palm oil.
If you experience reactions to it, please take a moment to report your symptoms to the FDA. They make it easy to complete online via their form. You should have as much information about the product as possible. It’s fast and will hopefully make a difference.
Support palm oil free products
Read labels every time. Often, companies change their ingredients.
Read labels and buy the palm oil free products. Vote with your dollars.
Learn why companies use palm oil so you can look for palm free versions.
Sometimes you can make your own.
Print this list to learn other names for palm oil.
How to support palm oil free products
As consumers, there is a lot we can do to support products without palm oil. Together, we can:
- Go on social media and tell companies palm oil free products are important.
- Ask companies for palm oil free alternatives.
- Go on social media and ask companies why their products contain palm oil.
- Read ingredient labels before you buy anything.
- Buy palm oil free products and brands.
- Find companies who don’t use any palm oil, and be loyal to them.
- Thank companies who are making their products palm oil free. (First, be sure there aren’t palm oil derivatives in them.)
You can also email companies. However, most often, you will be contacting a customer service representative. You won’t know if your message is getting past this person to the decision-makers within the company.
Reach out to companies
Often, when we email companies, we get canned, generic answers back from them. Many reply with their “sustainable palm oil” policy without seeming to read the questions.
It’s only when we delve further that we reach someone with more authority to get accurate information.
This is why we suggest you email them but also contact them professionally on social media. You may attract more attention to your message.
We continue to contact companies to confirm their products are palm oil free. Take a look around our site for lots more information about how to find palm oil free products.
Check back often for this updated list of palm oil free products. We update this website daily.
Please note, this is not meant to be medical advice. Consult with your healthcare provider.
We sourced this list after looking at ingredient labels and comparing them against lists of hundreds of names for palm oil ingredients and derivatives. We contact companies to inquire about their specific products that seem to be made without palm oil. As they write back, we continue to update and note when they confirm their products are palm oil free.
Palm Oil Free Certification Trademark labeling
However, the only way to know a product is 100% palm oil free is if it is has earned the Palm Oil Free Certification Trademark from the International Palm Oil Free Accreditation Programme.
Before you buy anything, read the labels while you are in the store. Buy the products that don’t list palm oil and palm oil derivatives. Read labels every time. This list is meant to be a starting point and is not guaranteed. Use it as a starting point. Please do your own due diligence.
Also, we always are updating and adding to this list as we find palm oil free products.
Continue to be a proactive consumer. Let companies know you are paying attention. Vote with your dollars by buying the palm oil free versions.
Please leave your Comments below with tips, palm oil free products you have found, or anything to help build awareness. Thank you!